Forget poetry, I'm just having fun this time...

ATTEMPT no. 24601

Do not look me in the eye twice
I say again:
Do not look me in the eye twice

for the bough will break and the cradle will fall

Instead,

feel my stare touch your nape,
let it raise the hairs that live there
like soldiers in bed and in heat
inside barracks on a cold morning

listen to my mouth contract and expand,
forming tiny o's and wide fat u's
spell them out loud and hear yourself breathe-
heavily, panting

smell me through skins and clothes and perfumes
Inhale through my pores,
and exhale through yours
Get high with the vapors of my sweat

Look me in the eye, and sing:
I'm-a-lonely-little-petunia-in-an-onion-patch.

In an onion patch.

Sing me that or another lullaby
about a baby in a cradle on a tree:

rock-a-bye-

baby...

when the wind-

blows...

the cradle will-

rock...

But only after you've looked once.

Forbid your neck to turn again
but should you compromise,

look at me anywhere
but never in the eye.

for the bough will break and the cradle will fall

and down will

come baby...

down will

come baby...

down

will

come

baby(!)

cradle and all.